This is the season of celebration. Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa are the holiday themes we traditionally celebrate around the country and in some cases around the world.
With all the joy the holidays can bring, it’s often noted that for many it can bring stress, depression, isolation, and sadness to name a few. Whether the holidays bring you joy or stress, here are ways to really enjoy them by celebrating yourself. If you take care of yourself first, you will truly begin to experience the joy of the season.
- Take Time for Yourself. Set aside time to do something that you’ve been wanting to do but couldn’t find the time for it. Giving time to yourself is one of the best gifts you can receive. It can be as simple as reading a book you’ve been interested in. A solo spa day can be extra special because you don’t have to be concerned about anyone but yourself. There are so many possibilities to explore. What are some of the things you’ve been wanting to do, but couldn’t fit into your schedule?
- Free Your Mind. It’s nice to take a few minutes upon waking and before going to bed to release the worries you are walking into or the ones you are walking away from. So often, we go to bed with the challenges of the day on our minds. Taking a few minutes before bed to go within and love on yourself is a game-changer. Give yourself a few moments to journal, meditate, or listen to some soothing music. You will sleep better and it sets you up for a fabulous start in the morning.
- De-clutter Your Environment. I know that this doesn’t sound like a fun thing to do, however, the reward is fantastic! Change the way you view this project. Look at it as the gift that keeps on giving. You will give yourself the gift of clarity physically and mentally, and you are gifting others with the items you are releasing. That’s a Win-Win!
- Take a Social Media Vacation. Yes, it is true that it’s fun to see what folks are doing. But it’s also true that it’s very easy to invest hours of time on something that brings no return, other than a smile here and there. Your vacation from Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok will give you time to enjoy more of the things on this list. Don’t worry they will all be there when you return.
- Get Your Sleep. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times. Sleep is one of the most important factors to maintaining a healthy body and mind. This is another great gift to give yourself. If you are having trouble sleeping, find a solution that works for you. Turn off your electronics an hour before bedtime; have a cup of warm Golden Milk or chamomile, lavender, or valerian tea. If it’s menopause-related, try acupuncture. Melatonin can also be helpful. You will love yourself for it.
- Call Them. Stop wondering how they’re doing and pick up the phone and call them. We spend so much time texting and direct messaging, that we can easily lose the personal joy of having a real conversation with people we care about. Right now, I can think of at least 5 people to call that would bring joy to both of us. How about you? Who could you call? Quick – write down their names before you forget and then call them!
- Make Plans. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish each day, each week, each month, each year. Think of it as your GPS. You don’t have to know how you’re going to get there initially. You first have to decide on where you want to go. Once you set the intention to get there, your personal GPS will begin showing you the way.
Now if I can just practice what I preach, I’ll be unstoppable. Do what I say and not what I do and reap the benefits of the Good Life!